Upcycling: Top tips from Liverpool City Region experts
We’ve asked our experts for their top upcycling tips…
Words by Christine Toner
- Be prepared to get your hands dirty – it’s hard work and a lot of patience is needed.
- Be bold and original as it’s about being different; if you like it, there are no set rules.
- There is no need to spend loads of money on fancy paints or other products. Experiment with old paints and compromise.
- Practice on smaller items. The more you do, the better you get at it.
- Research on the internet what other upcyclers have done to get ideas and inspiration.
Upcycle Furniture Liverpool
- Don’t start with too big a project
- Take your time and don’t rush.
- Try to source your materials for free – it’s amazing what gets thrown away.
- If you hit a snag try using social media for advice, there are some great sites.
- Take pride in what you’ve accomplished because in your own way you’re helping the planet.
- Watch out for woodworm in old furniture. Small, clean precise holes with evidence of sawdust means it’s active – invest in some woodworm killer treatment.
- Invest in a two-part wood filler – it helps to fill damage before you paint.
- Invest in a set of paint pads – this leaves a great finish on flat surfaces.
- Matt finish furniture paintslike Fusion Mineral Paint or London Vintage are amazing and help achieve a smooth textured finish unlike chalk paint.
- Think outside the box – be creative and bold.